Mystified by Content?

I am still surprised at how many retail websites don’t use there product pages to describe their product? Their “stuff” still just sounds like line items on their PO’s or worse yet, the description straight out of their retail POS systems.

Any persuasive seller knows you have to speak in your targets language and you actually need to tell them why should I care…what does this do for me?

Here’s a great example of a big retailer describing a T-Shirt of all things:
Banana Republic

Here’s Nordstom’s falling a little short:
Dress


It’s funny, when content space is for free (unlike catalogs where each sku competes against the next)…it really exposes the lack of originality and saleswomanship behind companies.

I’d ask companies like Banana Republic to go a step further and start incorporating language that goes beyond the “materials” and event for the item…and looks to the reasons why and speaking in the voices of customers. Obviously user reviews play big here.

Good starting read:

Online Copy Writing Book

No comments: